2024年6月18日火曜日

Is elderly workforce is essential? : from the perspective of a 70 year old man working at a company in rural area

 Hello, I am Yoshio, working at one of  companis in Iwate prefecture. It has been about 50 years since I started working at this company, and now that I am the second most senior person of my company. Our company was composed of nearly 500 people, being designated as large company. However, recently we have been struggling with worker shortages due to decrease of younger workforce. 


In fact, the birth rate in Japan has been decreasing over many years, so the number of people who apply to our company get decrease in recent years. What's more, more and more people living in Ichinoseki where our company is located have moved to city like Tokyo, Kanagawa, and Chiba. This situation caused decrease of younger population which is needed for our company. I know living in city is more attractive and more convinient than living in such rural area. However current worker shortage is really bad for our company, which lead to shrinking of our company. 


Although our company barely keep running, shrinking of working population would continue until more and more younger people apply to our company. Now over 50% of employee of our company is elderly people. This older work force including me is really needed to keep running, but I think it cannot continue for a long time. Though elderly people play an important role in our company, younger workforce is also essential in the long run.

Takahara, K. (2024, June 5). Japan’s birth rate hit new low in 2023. The Japan Timeshttps://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2024/06/05/japan/society/japan-birth-rate-2023/

000629037.pdf (soumu.go.jp)

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

Healthcare and Aging Society

 Yesterday, I had a somewhat serious injury and went to a large hospital. I noticed that there were very few young people around my age and ...